In Many Ways, Fishing in Minnesota is its Own Reward
With thousands of lakes, hundreds of miles of rivers and streams, and dozens of species to test the skills of even the most avid anglers, the opportunities for good fishing experiences are many.
Another way to enjoy the rewards of fishing in Minnesota is to participate in the Master Anglers Program. Sponsored by the Fishing Hall of Fame of Minnesota and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the program is designed to acknowledge the efforts of responsible anglers throughout the state.
The Master Angler Program is open to all licensed anglers in Minnesota. Nonresident anglers with an appropriate Minnesota license are also eligible to participate. There are separate divisions for adults and youth anglers. Before you apply to be a Master Angler, please review the program rules and qualification chart.
Minnesota Angler Awards are made available on an annual basis according to the calendar year January 1 through December 31. Deadline for application is April 30th of the following year.
The program has three award categories; Master Angler, Expert Angler, and Grand Master. Anglers must qualify at the Master Angler level before becoming eligible for Expert Angler status, and finally the Grand Master award.
- Master Angler: Open to any legal angler who has released or harvested one qualifying fish.
- Expert Angler: Open to any legal angler who has released or harvested three trophy fish. Each fish must be a different species and must be caught in the same year. Entries for the each fish must be submitted separately using the application form.
- Grand Master: Open to any legal angler who has released or harvested five trophy fish. Each fish must be a different species and must be caught in the same year. Entries for the each fish must be submitted separately using the application form.
Qualifying entries will receive:
- A listing in the Master Angler Annual, a publication of the Fishing Hall of Fame of Minnesota web site.
- A listing with their photo on the Master Anglers page of this website.
- A browser-generated certificate commemorating the achievement of each catch.